Thursday, August 13, 2026

New Tapahe Exhibit Features Stunning Standing Rock Composite Photograph

 

composite of 44 black and white photographs of the Native American protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline on the Standing Rock reservation in North Dakota in 2016-2017

NEVER FORGET, STANDING FOR UNITY

BY EUGENE TAPAHE


70”x47” archival pigment print

44 Black and White Photograph Collage


Celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Standing Rock Movement to protect the water and land in North Dakota, this collection of 44 photos was taken over four months in 2016 at the Standing Rock camps. It documents the love and unity of thousands of people from numerous ethnicities, tribes, and cultures who made a spiritual journey to stand together to protect the water and the land.

During this time, Tapahe published articles and posted photos of his experiences at camp. He was asked why he went to the Oceti Sakowin camp. “I came because the land called me. I was here in a dream long before it happened. As a Diné (Navajo), it was my responsibility to be here, to help our people, our ancestors, our water, and our land. It wasn’t just a thought; it was what is in my heart. The connection to the land and nature can't be explained. It's felt deep inside. It's sacred to all who feel it."

10 years ago, Tapahe spent months completing this project to raise awareness of this once-in-a-lifetime historical event.  Tapahe said, “The spirit in the camp was peaceful. It felt as if our ancestors were standing with us in unity around the sacred fire–singing and dancing. I sang and prayed for peace and resolve during my nights there. This spiritual awakening will always be with me as I continue my creative journey to photograph and document the beauty of Mother Earth and our people. I will never forget this courageous stand for unity."


August 13 - November 1, 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment