Friday, March 25, 2022

In Memoriam: Dirck Halstead, 1936—2022

 Via The Briscoe Center for American History

March 25, 2022


 Dirck Halstead, award-winning photojournalist, freelance photographer, and digital journalism innovator, died on March 25, 2022.

Halstead was a pioneering photojournalist, best known for his work for Time magazine, UPI, and Life magazine. He covered major world events throughout the late twentieth century including the Vietnam War and the fall of Saigon in 1975, five presidential administrations, President Richard Nixon’s trip to China, and the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan. He was the publisher and editor of the online magazine the Digital Journalist. Halstead donated his archive to the Briscoe Center in 1995.

“I have never thought of myself as a great photographer. That’s beside the point. What I am is a storyteller. I have always felt that [my career] isn’t about what I saw. It is about how I fulfilled my responsibility to reporting history.”

No comments:

Post a Comment